“What art offers is space – a certain breathing room for the spirit”
People don’t often consider the concept of space. That neglected non entity or “nothingness” that surrounds us.
Anxious people often try to take up as little space as possible. In music, they may even make the smallest sound possible. Characteristics of people who possess that nebulous sought out quality called “star quality”seem to have mastered what I call “taking up space”. This applies to all spheres, including blog spheres. The ability to encompass space.
Dealing with “nothingness” can be harrowing, such as those awkward silences that creep up in interactions, or that sense of emptiness. However, in meditation, being able to tolerate this sense, can lead to valuable insights and inspirations.
Ways to achieve space projection:
- Studies have shown that even faking an appearance of confidence, can make you feel confident on the inside
- Standing up tall
- Feel yourself project into the world in all forms of art
- Breathe deeply
- Be yourself. It is exhausting trying to be otherwise
- Don’t be afraid to express yourself
- Thinking about how your interests helps others can really make you stand out
- Feeling passionately about what you believe in
- Dare to change the world and yourself a little each day
- Taking a slower pace, and really make your movement flow, rather than rushing about
- Speak slowly, rather than in a rushed manner. Keep your message simple
- Practice Mindfulness
- Set yourself up in the centre of the room
- Be kind to yourself and others
It is not just a confidence thing, but also a sincere sense of reaching out into the world, and a sense of connecting.
So too with music, it is not being afraid to be heard, and projecting your presence and yourself out there to reach and touch people. It doesn’t matter whether your not good enough, but if you are sincere in yourself and your motives.
Don’t be afraid to take up space. It is there to grab. Not only should you take up space, but you also let space take up into you. Take deep breaths, and let it fill your insides. It is really a good feeling. Sometimes, the most important things are there in the silence of space.